[Numpy-discussion] SciPy Sprint results

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 18:04:33 EST 2007

On Dec 19, 2007 11:52 AM, Travis E. Oliphant <oliphant at enthought.com> wrote:

> Testing
> ---------
>   * scipy unit-testing will be "nose-compliant" and therefore nose will
> be required to run the SciPy tests.
>   * NumPy will still use the current testing framework but will support
> SciPy's desire to be nose-compliant.  NumPy 1.1 tests may move to just
> being "nose-compliant"
>   * The goal is to make tests easier for contributors to write.

This hadn't been committed yet, but last night I put it in, and
Matthew Brett is planning today on updating the rest of the codebase
to the nose tests, which do make a LOT of things vastly nicer and
simpler to write, at the cost of a very small new dependency (only
needed to run the actual test suite, not to use scipy).

At some point in the next few days I imagine this will get merged back
into trunk, though that merge probably needs to be done with a bit of
coordination, since the changes will touch pretty much every scipy
module (at least their test/ directory).

> Weave
> ---------
>   * weave will not move into NumPy yet, but possibly at NumPy 1.1, there
> could be a separate package containing all the "wrapping" support code
> for NumPy in a more unified fashion (if somebody is interested in this,
> it is a great time to jump in).

It's worth crediting Min (Benjamin Ragan-Kelley, ipython developer)
for spending the whole day deep in the bowels of weave clenaing up
tens of test failures that had been in for a long time.  The weave
tests aren't getting correctly picked up by scipy.test(), hence they
hadn't been reported, but you can see them with weave.test(10).

To make sure that this work doesn't fall too far out of sync with
trunk, I just committed it all back into trunk as two separate
changesets (one to update the branch itself in case anyone is going to
work further on it, one to apply the changes to the trunk itself).
Many thanks to Min for the spelunking work!

Cheers,