[Numpy-discussion] ndarray newbie question

belinda thom bthom at cs.hmc.edu
Thu Jan 4 14:18:39 EST 2007

Hello,

I wrote a "display obj" method for viewing instance data:

def dobj(obj) :
     """extended object viewer that displays arg"""
     print 'Class: ', obj.__class__.__name__, ' id:', id(obj)
     for k in obj.__dict__.keys() :
         print '  ', k, ': ', obj.__dict__[k], ' id:', id(obj.__dict__
[k])

and I'm wondering why it doesn't work on ndarrays:

 >>> m = numpy.zeros(3)
 >>> dobj(m)

complains because:

AttributeError: 'numpy.ndarray' object has no attribute '__dict__'

I am also fairly new to python, but would have thought all objects
had dictionaries, especially when they are comprised of other things,
e.g.

dir(m)

produces a slew of components, e.g.

tofile, ..., transpose, ..., view, etc.