[Numpy-discussion] discussion about array.resize() -- compare to numarray

Russell E Owen rowen at cesmail.net
Fri Jan 5 16:57:50 EST 2007

In article
<bc657ead0701041629i4f9e2fddg26efac5256bde3cb at mail.gmail.com>,
 "Sebastian Haase" <seb.haase at gmx.net> wrote:

>...But maybe even more worry some for the converting from numarray is
this:
> 999
> [5 0]
>
> in numarray you would get
> [5 5]
> [5 5]

I also checked the numpy 1.0.1 help and I confess I don't understand at
all what it claims to do if the new size is larger. It first says it
repeats a and then it says it zero-fills the output.

>>> help(numpy.resize)
Help on function resize in module numpy.core.fromnumeric:

resize(a, new_shape)
    resize(a,new_shape) returns a new array with the specified shape.
    The original array's total size can be any size. It
    fills the new array with repeated copies of a.

    Note that a.resize(new_shape) will fill array with 0's
    beyond current definition of a.