[Numpy-discussion] Fwd: Advanced selection, duplicate indices, and augmented assignment

Timothy Hochberg tim.hochberg at ieee.org
Mon Jan 8 16:08:37 EST 2007

On 1/7/07, Sean R. Lynch <seanl at literati.org> wrote:

> Travis Oliphant wrote:
>
> > I don't think we could make it work as he expects (and not radically
> > change NumPy itself so that other operations are very different) because
> > of the limitations of Python.
> >
> > The point was that it is too complicated to do any differently (and is
> > probably impossible).
>
> Ok, thanks for the explanation.
>
> In that case, is there a way to do what I want (accumulate values per
> index) without looping in Python? The histogram functions would only
> count the number of uses of a given index AFAICT. I want to sum all of
> the normals for a given index.

Sean,

I'm pretty sure that at one point I had a way to do exactly what you are
doing, however it's been a while and I don't know where that code wandered
off to. I will think about it now that I'm done doing silly stuff and see if
I can recall what the trick was.

[Just don't want you to feel abandoned...]

-tim