[Numpy-discussion] Getting 3-D array values from a 2-D array of indexes

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 00:48:16 EST 2007

Jordan Dawe wrote:
> I have a 3D array A of shape (nz, ny, nx) and a 2D array B of shape (ny,
> nx) that contains integer indexes.  I want to generate a 2D array C of
> shape (ny, nx) composed of the values of A at the z-indexes specified in
> B.  Is there an easy way to do this?

An alternative to Pau's suggestion is to use the .choose() method, which is
tailor-made for this use-case.

In [9]: nz, ny, nx = (3, 4, 5)

In [10]: B = array([[0, 1, 2, 1, 0], [1, 2, 1, 0, 1], [2, 1, 0, 1, 2], [1, 0, 1,
2, 1]])

In [11]: B
Out[11]:
array([[0, 1, 2, 1, 0],
       [1, 2, 1, 0, 1],
       [2, 1, 0, 1, 2],
       [1, 0, 1, 2, 1]])

In [12]: A = arange(nz*ny*nx).reshape((nz,ny,nx))

In [13]: A
Out[13]:
array([[[ 0,  1,  2,  3,  4],
        [ 5,  6,  7,  8,  9],