[Numpy-discussion] Build numpy without support of "long double' on OS-X

Sebastian Haase seb.haase at gmx.net
Thu Jan 25 21:25:33 EST 2007

On 1/25/07, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sebastian Haase wrote:
> > Hi!
> > When I try running my code on
> > panther (10.3) with a numpy that was built on tiger (10.4)
> > it can't load numpy because of missing symbols
> > in numpy/core/umath.so
> > The symbols are
> > _acoshl$LDBL128
> > _acosl$LDBL128
> > _asinhl$LDBL128
> >
> > (see my post from 5 oct 2006:
> > http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.numeric.general/8521 )
> >
> > I traced the problem to the libmx system library.
> >
> > Since I really don't need "long double" (128 bit) operations - I was
> > wondering if there is a flag to just turn them of?
>
> Generally speaking, you need to build binaries on the lowest-versioned OS X that
> you intend to run on.

The problem with building on 10.3 is that it generally comes only with
gcc 3.3.   I remember that some things require gcc4 - right ?

I just found this
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/CppRuntimeEnv/Articles/LibCPPDeployment.html
which states:
"Support for the 128-bit long double type was not introduced until Mac
OS X 10.4."

The easiest would be to be able to disable the long double functions.

-Sebastian