[Numpy-discussion] Different results from repeated calculation

Scott Ransom sransom at nrao.edu
Mon Jan 29 17:50:25 EST 2007

On a 64-bit Intel Core2 Duo running Debian unstable with atlas3 (there
is no specific atlas3-sse2 for AMD64 Debian, although I think that it
is included) everything checks out fine:

eiger:~$ uname -a
Linux eiger 2.6.18-3-amd64 #1 SMP Sun Dec 10 19:57:44 CET 2006 x86_64
GNU/Linux

eiger:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 15
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU          6700  @ 2.66GHz
stepping        : 6
cpu MHz         : 2660.009
cache size      : 4096 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 2
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm syscall
lm constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips        : 5324.65
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

(same for 2nd CPU)

Scott

On Monday 29 January 2007 16:10, Keith Goodman wrote:
> On 1/29/07, Russell E. Owen <rowen at cesmail.net> wrote:
> > On a PPC MacOS X box I don't see an error. If I append
> > if __name__ == "__main__":
> >     run()
> > to your test code and then run it I get:
> >
> > repeatability #1 ... ok
> > repeatability #2 ... ok
> > repeatability #3 ... ok

> >--- Ran 3 tests in 0.156s
> >
> > OK
>
> So far no one has duplicated the problem on windows or mac. The
> problem has only been seen on linux with atlas3-sse2. (I get a
> similar problem with other versions of atlas.)
>
> Are you running atlas on your PPC mac? Perhaps atlas3-altivec?

Scott M. Ransom            Address:  NRAO
Phone:  (434) 296-0320               520 Edgemont Rd.
email:  sransom at nrao.edu             Charlottesville, VA 22903 USA
GPG Fingerprint: 06A9 9553 78BE 16DB 407B  FFCA 9BFA B6FF FFD3 2989