[Numpy-discussion] convert csv file into recarray without pre-specifying dtypes and variable names

Vincent Nijs v-nijs at kellogg.northwestern.edu
Sun Jul 8 17:36:12 EDT 2007

Torgil,

The function seems to work well and is slightly faster than your previous
version (about 1/6th faster).

Yes, I do have columns that start with, what looks like, int's and then turn
out to be floats. Something like below (col6).

    data = [['col1', 'col2', 'col3', 'col4', 'col5', 'col6'],
            ['2','2','4/97','1.33','2.26','1.23'],
            ['2','2','5/97','1.73','2.42','1.26']]

I think what your function assumes is that the 1st element will be the
appropriate type. That may not hold if you have missing values or 'mixed
types'.

Best,

Vincent