[Numpy-discussion] alter_code1.py changes .stddev() to .std() ...

Xavier Saint-Mleux saintmlx at apstat.com
Wed Jul 11 13:43:23 EDT 2007

Hello,

I'm having a lot of fun converting python code from numarray to numpy
and I just found out that the alter_code1.py conversion script changes
numarray's '.stddev()' to numpy's '.std()', even though the semantics
are different ("sample" std.dev. or not; divide by N-1 vs. by N).

Should I open yet another ticket about '.std()'?
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/ticket/502
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/ticket/461
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/ticket/388

This will be easy to solve once .std() has a parameter to choose the
divisor, but what is everybody using in the mean time?

Thanks,

Xavier Saint-Mleux