[Numpy-discussion] Porting "IDL Astronomy User's Library" to numpy

Tim Leslie tim.leslie at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 10:46:35 EDT 2007

On 7/16/07, Yannick Copin <y.copin at ipnl.in2p3.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd be interested in some astronomical utilities from the IDL Astronomy
> User's
> Library (http://idlastro.gsfc.nasa.gov/contents.html) converted to
> python/numpy. I had a look to idl2python
> (http://software.pseudogreen.org/i2py/), but the automatic translation
> fails,
> mostly because (I think) the conversion is Numeric-oriented, and because
> of
> the intrinsic differences in the function argument management between IDL
> and
> python.

Perhaps you could give some examples of where the conversion programs is not
working for numpy.

So, before pursuing in this direction, I'd like to know if this exercice has
> already been done, at least partially.

Have you contacted the author of the package? The website states that the
package has been tested on the IDL astronomy library, so he should be able
to give you idea of how successful it was. If you do hear back from him I'd
be interested to know how successful this project is, as I'm always looking
for reasons to convert users in my astronomy department from things like IDL
on to python :-)

Cheers,

Tim Leslie

Cheers.