[Numpy-discussion] ld.so.1 linker errors building numpy

Park Hays park.notread at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 13:40:53 EDT 2007

I have been fighting for a couple weeks to get numpy installed, on the way
to a full scipy+matplotlib system.  At this point, the transcript looks
something like:

> python
Python 2.5 (r25:51908, Sep 20 2006, 06:18:53)
[GCC 3.4.6] on sunos5
>> from numpy import *
-- stack trace, cut out except for last portion --
File "[snip]/linalg.py", line 25, in <module>
  from numpy.linalg import lapack_lite
Import Error: ld.so.1: python: fatal: relocation error: file
[snip]/numpy/linalg/lapack_lite.so: symbol s_wsfe: referenced symbol not
found.

The python came from sunfreeware.com, if my sysadmin remembers right.  I am
attempting to build against an ATLAS 3.6.0 which I built with gcc 3.4.6,
where I've added the -fPIC flag (since various previous error messages made
me think numpy couldn't link to .a libraries, and I was going through tons
of steps to get .so libraries from the ATLAS and LAPACK builds...)
LAPACK 3.1.1, also built with 3.4.6
NumPy is from SVN (3881 from July 5, 2007), I think 1.0.4 is the version
number, though it is not released--I think.  This fixed some major problems
with the distutils in 1.0.3.
My uname -a output is SunOS 5.8 Generic_108528_29 sun4u sparc SUNW,
Sun-Blade-1000

In some cases I had to take the failed build (from the numpy setup) and
replace, at the linker stage, gcc -shared with CC -G (which invokes Sun's
development tools linker).  At that point the .so would be generated quietly
and a restart of numpy's setup.py would continue fine.

The machine on which I am doing all this is off-network, and it is extremely
difficult to add new software to it.  I've seen one post somewhere
suggesting that using gnu ld might help (from binutils).  I am in the
process of adding it, but I'd prefer to find a way to build this without.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!  Any explanations would be gravy.

-Park Hays