[Numpy-discussion] Wrong lapack version detection (32/64bits)

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Thu Jul 19 22:42:32 EDT 2007

Xavier Gnata wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to update numpy by compiling the up to date svn:
>>
>> I get this error :
>> gcc: numpy/linalg/lapack_litemodule.c
>> gcc -pthread -shared
>> build/temp.linux-i686-2.4/numpy/linalg/lapack_litemodule.o
>> -lmkl_lapack32 -lmkl_lapack64 -lmkl -lvml -lguide -lpthread -o
>> build/lib.linux-i686-2.4/numpy/linalg/lapack_lite.so
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmkl_lapack64
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmkl_lapack64
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> error: Command "gcc -pthread -shared
>> build/temp.linux-i686-2.4/numpy/linalg/lapack_litemodule.o
>> -lmkl_lapack32 -lmkl_lapack64 -lmkl -lvml -lguide -lpthread -o
>> build/lib.linux-i686-2.4/numpy/linalg/lapack_lite.so" failed with exit
>> status 1
>>
>> There must be something wrong in the distutils/makefile because I'm on a
>> debian sid *i386* so why should I link against mkl_lapack64 ??
>> Of course, I do not have lapack64 installed on this i386 machine.
>> I have try to simply fix that in the config file of numpy replacing
>> lapack64 by lapack32 everywhere but it fails (and it is not an acceptable fix).
>>
>> Can anyone reproduce that??
>>
>> Xavier
>>

> Trying to modify  /numpy/distutils/system_info.py this way (only for
> test purpose...):
>
> #           lapack_libs =
> self.get_libs('lapack_libs',['mkl_lapack32','mkl_lapack64'])
>             lapack_libs = self.get_libs('lapack_libs',['mkl_lapack32'])
>
> I'm able to compile numpy but import numpy fails:

svn numpy and scipy work perfectly on Ubuntu, and there are no
noticeable differences between sid and Ubuntu to make a difference a priori.

Do you have the mkl installed at all on your computer ? If not, and
without any modification to the site.cfg of numpy, I don't see why numpy
would try to detect the mkl. Maybe some really recent (eg a few days)
changes in the trunk ? I build quite regularly the lastest numpy
(several times / week) on Ubuntu without problems.
> ImportError:
> /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/numpy/linalg/lapack_lite.so: undefined
> symbol: zgesdd_
>
> Looks like the procedure to detect the lapack version is fully buggy (or
> maybe the lapack debian pacakges??)

Quite the contrary: debian LAPACK packages were the only ones working
properly for a long time.

David