[Numpy-discussion] Pickle, pytables, and sqlite - loading and saving recarray's

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Fri Jul 20 02:16:33 EDT 2007

On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 09:42:42PM -0500, Vincent Nijs wrote:
>    I'd luv to hear from people using sqlite, pytables, and cPickle about
>    their experiences.

I was about to point you to this discussion:
http://projects.scipy.org/pipermail/scipy-user/2007-April/011724.html

but I see that you participated in it.

I store data from each of my experimental run with pytables. What I like
about it is the hierarchical organization of the data which allows me to
save a complete description of the experiment, with strings, and
extensible data structures. Another thing I like is that I can load this
in Matlab (I can provide enhanced script for hdf5, if somebody wants
them), and I think it is possible to read hdf5 in Origin. I don't use
these software, but some colleagues do.

So I think the choices between pytables and cPickle boils down to whether
you want to share the data with other software than Python or not.

Gaël