[Numpy-discussion] numpy-1.0.3 compile-problems on WindowsXP/Visual Studio 2005

Csaba Csaba.Kiss at scienomics.com
Tue Jul 24 10:50:03 EDT 2007

Hi,

   did somebody suceeded to compile/install numpy-1.0.3 from the sources under WindowsXP with Visual Studio 2005?
Shortly after issuing the

    > python setup.py build

command, the build breaks with a strange error and even stranger recommendation:

    > building extension "numpy.core.multiarray" sources
    > Generating build\src.win32-2.5\numpy\core\config.h
    > No module named msvccompiler in numpy.distutils, trying from distutils..
    > error: Python was built with Visual Studio 2003;
    > extensions must be built with a compiler than can generate compatible binaries.
    > Visual Studio 2003 was not found on this system. If you have Cygwin installed,
    > you can try compiling with MingW32, by passing "-c mingw32" to setup.py.

    I successfully built and used Python-2.5, Qt-4.3.0, sip-4.5.2 and PyQwt-5.0.0 from the very same environment ( WindowsXP, nmake from VS-2005, Platform SDK, etc.). Everything is built with the very same binaries and tools behind, why would numpy-1.0.3's setup.py beleave that I had or ever used VS-2003?

    > extensions must be built with a compiler than can generate compatible binaries.
    I don't really understand this neither, compattible to whom or what?

    Please help me.

Best Regards,
Csaba F. Kiss - csaba.kiss at scienomics.com