[Numpy-discussion] numpy requires tuples for indexing where Numeric allowed them?

Jim Kleckner jek-cygwin2 at kleckner.net
Fri Jun 1 17:51:36 EDT 2007

I'm fighting conversion from Numeric to numpy.

One change that doesn't seem documented is that I used to be able to
select items using lists and now it seems that I have to convert them to
tuples.  Is that correct and is there a function buried in there that
will accept a list for indices?

Any reason that item() can't take a list?

The weird thing is that it doesn't blow up right away when a list is
passed in an array ref but rather returns something I don't expect.

I work with lists rather than the implicit tuples of a function call
because then I can work with arbitrary dimensions.

In the meantime, I guess I can just convert the list to an otherwise
unnecessary tuple.

Jim