[Numpy-discussion] f2py problem under MacOsX: "g95: unrecognized option '-shared'"

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 14:24:37 EDT 2007

David Tremouilles wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  I'm running into trouble with f2py (numpy 1.0.3 on my  intel  MacOsX)
> f2py or actually f95 is complaining that -share option is not recognized:
> "g95: unrecognized option '-shared'"
> Which is actually true on an OsX platform. It should be something like
> -dynamic or so that should be used (but I'm not skilled enough to
> trouble shot this myself :-( )...
>
> Does somebody know how to solve the problem?

Exactly which FORTRAN compiler are you using and what --fcompiler setting did
you use? We've made the appropriate settings for gfortran (--fcompiler=gnu95),
but we haven't done anything with g95 (--fcompiler=g95), which is what I assume
you are using here.

I think you may be the first person to try to use g95 on OS X with f2py; at
least, the first to tell us about it. Consequently, we'll need your help in
order to figure out what to do. Presumably, the necessary settings should be
similar to those for gfortran. Please take a look at
numpy/distutils/fcompiler/gnu.py:GnuFCompiler.get_flags_linker_so(). Most
likely, that method can be simply copied over to numpy/distutils/fcompiler/g95.py .

Let us know if that works for you. Thanks.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco