[Numpy-discussion] Suppressing "nesting" (recursion, descent) in array construction.

Michael McNeil Forbes mforbes at physics.ubc.ca
Wed Jun 20 15:47:43 EDT 2007

Using take or array or similar operations on the initial list
descends ignoring the tuples and converting the list to a multiple-
dimension array:

 >>> take(keys,[1,0],axis=0)
array([['b', '2'],
       dtype='|S4')

It is sorted as I want, but I can no-longer use them as keys.  The
problem can be solved by creating an empty array first, then copying.

Thanks,
Michael.