[Numpy-discussion] Scalar coercion

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 17:48:28 EST 2007

Travis Oliphant wrote:

> So the question is:  Do we keep the current behavior or change the
> behavior to be more consistent with numarray.  My current preference is
> to change the behavior so it is more consistent with numarray (even
> though it's actually not going to be trivial to do that).

The current behavior is very obscure and almost never the behavior that one
desires. Indeed, the first time it came up, you seemed to think it was a bug
earlier in the thread before (presumably) you went into the code and
rediscovered the justification.

I suspect that most people who have coded with this behavior in mind have coded
to *avoid* the behavior and that their code will still work even after changing
numpy.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."