[Numpy-discussion] [SciPy-user] NumPy in Teaching

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Thu Mar 1 22:56:33 EST 2007

Andrew Straw wrote:
> Perry Greenfield wrote:
>> On Feb 28, 2007, at 7:32 PM, Joe Harrington wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Steve,
>>>
>>> I have taught Astronomical Data Analysis twice at Cornell using IDL,
>>> and I will be teaching it next Fall at UCF using NumPy.  Though I've
>>> been active here in the recent past, I'm actually not a regular NumPy
>>> user myself yet (I used Numeric experimentally for about 6 months in
>>> 1997), so I'm a bit nervous.  There isn't the kind of documentation
>>> and how-to support for Numpy that there is for IDL, though our web
>>> site is a start in that direction.  One thought I've had in making the
>>> transition easier is to put up a syntax and function concordance,
>>> similar to that available for MATLAB.  I thought this existed.  Maybe
>>> Perry can point me to it.  Just adding a column to the MATLAB one
>>> would be fine.
>>>
>> I made one for IDL, but I don't recall one for matlab. If anyone has
>> done one, I sure would like to incorporate it into the tutorial I'm
>> revising if possible.
>>

> I believe the reference is to this: http://scipy.org/NumPy_for_Matlab_Users
Another reference which was really useful for me was this one

http://37mm.no/matlab-python-xref.html

I actually found it more useful than the wiki (at the time I made the
step towards numpy for all my numerical needs, that is around one year
ago). Note that this site also have reference wrt IDL and R, the latter
having been useful for me when I thought about ditching matlab for R

David