[Numpy-discussion] Unifying numpy, scipy, and matplotlib docstring formats

David Huard david.huard at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 14:07:26 EST 2007

To get back to the original subject of the thread, there has been a commit
today on the docutils plugins branch that allows folks to write their own
parser/writer and somehow include it in docutils, without having to rebuild
docutils. In other words, NumPy could define a plugin, and if docutils is
installed, link the plugin to the docutils installation. This would allow
third party package that use docutils to process numpy docstrings using the
plugin. I don't know how far we can disgress from the reST syntax using
those plugins, but it's probably something worth looking at.

Check out:
svn://svn.berlios.de/docutils/branches/plugins

and the info about the plugin hookup is in docs/howto/extensions.txt

David