[Numpy-discussion] No module named Numeric for numpy-1.0.1.win32-py2.5.exe on Python 2.5

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 00:24:42 EDT 2007

Haw-Jye Shyu wrote:
> Hi folks:
>
> How are you?
> I am a newbie to the Numpy. Today, I have downloaded numpy-1.0.1.win32-py2.5.exe
> from the web site of
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1369&package_id=175103
>
> I double clicked on the numpy-1.0.1.win32-py2.5.exe and the installation seems to run smoothly,
> seeing the installation winidows saying "Click the finish button to exit the setup wizard".
>
> And yet, when I type in import Numric in the window of Python Shell, I got this follow
> message:ImportError: No module named Numeric. It said I did not install the Numpy.
> Following is a screen shot from my Python Shell. Please help. Your help is highly appreciated.

The current package "numpy" is the replacement for "Numeric". Unfortunately,
"NumPy" was a sort of nickname for "Numeric". There is more detail on that
history here:

  http://www.scipy.org/History_of_SciPy

You can find up-to-date documentation on numpy here:

  http://www.scipy.org/Documentation

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."