[Numpy-discussion] problems building exported version of numpy from svn

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 15:11:23 EDT 2007

Fred Romelfanger wrote:
> When I use co to check the code out of svn, running setup.py and building
> the code works fine, but when I export the code or create a source
> distribution that includes numpy the .svn directories get stripped.
>
> svn export http://svn.scipy.org/svn/numpy/trunk numpy
>
> I then get the following error when I run "python setup.py build"
>
> AssertionError: hmm, why I am not inside SVN tree???
>
> How do I export a copy of numpy that I can build outside of an svn tree?

We grab some of the versioning information from the .svn/ metadata. If you want
a tarball without the .svn/ data for some reason, you should do an SVN checkout,
run "python setup.py sdist" and then the source tarball will be in the dist/
directory with the appropriate versioning information already there.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco