[Numpy-discussion] Contiguous flags not quite right yet.

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Thu Mar 22 18:19:36 EDT 2007

Charles R Harris wrote:

> All three shapes are both C_CONTIGUOUS and F_CONTIGUOUS. I think
> ignoring all 1's in the shape would give the right results  for
> otherwise contiguous arrays because in those positions the index can
> only take the value 0.

I've thought about this before too.  But, every time I've tried to do
something like that with the flags, I get many errors in numpy and scipy
because of the way contiguousness is actually used.  Somehow, I've never
gotten the right check to allow additional striding arrays to work
correctly.

The _IsContiguous
and _IsFortranContiguous

functions are what should be changed if anything is done.

-Travis