[Numpy-discussion] matrix indexing question

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Sun Mar 25 14:39:03 EDT 2007

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007, Paulo Jose da Silva e Silva apparently wrote:
> I think the point here is that if you are using matrices,
> then all you "should" want are matrices, just like in
> MATLAB:
>         >> b = A(1, :)
>         b =
>              1     2

Yes, that is the idea behind this, which I am also
accustomed to from GAUSS.  But note again that the Matlab
equivalent ::

    >>> x=N.mat('1 2;3 4')
    >>> x[0,:]
    matrix([[1, 2]])

does provide this behavior.  The question I am raising
is a design question and is I think really not addressed
by the rule of thumb you offer.  Specifically, that rule
of thumb if it is indeed the justification of  ::

    >>> x[1]
    matrix([[3, 4]])

finds itself in basic conflict with the idea that I ought to
be able to iterate over the objects in an iterable container.

I mean really, does this not "feel" wrong? ::

    >>> for item in x: print item.__repr__()
    matrix([[1, 2]])
    matrix([[3, 4]])

Cheers,
Alan Isaac