[Numpy-discussion] New Operators in Python

Steven H. Rogers steve at shrogers.com
Sun Mar 25 21:20:02 EDT 2007

Bill Baxter wrote:

> Until we get to the point that it's actually harder to find a
> non-Unicode console/editor than a Unicode one, I think the idea of
> using Unicode symbols as part of the syntax of a general purpose
> language is a bad one.

Given that most editors lack good Unicode support, it can be used as an
alternate syntax, but not the only syntax.  For the foreseeable future,
both syntaxes would have to be supported.  All that is needed is *one*
reasonable editor with sufficient support for a Unicode Python syntax,
and others will follow.  Since Idle is often used by Python beginners,
it would be a good candidate.

> I'm looking forward to see what becomes of Fortress, but it's
> basically still an experiment at this point.

I think Fortress is more than an experiment, though it is still a long
way from being useful for real work.

# Steve