[Numpy-discussion] matrix indexing question

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Mon Mar 26 16:18:04 EDT 2007

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007, Charles R Harris apparently wrote:
> Well, and what should they expect.

Since matrices are an iterable Python object,
we *expect* to iterate over the contained objects.
(Arrays.)  I am not sure why this is not evident to all,
but it is surely the sticking point in this discussion.

A matrix is not a container of matrices.
That it acts like one is surprsing.
Surprises are bad unless they have a clear justification.
Perhaps a clear justification exists,
but it has not been offered in this discussion.

Cheers,
Alan Isaac