[Numpy-discussion] Complex 'where' expression

Tom Denniston tom.denniston at alum.dartmouth.org
Tue Mar 27 19:59:41 EDT 2007

You need to use numpy.logical_and.

The and and or operators do not work elementwise on arrays to the best
of my understanding. I think it is a limitation on the way logical
operators are applied in python or maybe it is an intentional numpy
limitation.  I'm sure others on the list could explain better.

Also where is the wrong function.  You want compress:

In [8]: image2 = numpy.array([-1,1,1,1])

In [9]: image1 = numpy.array([1,-1,2,3])

In [10]: numpy.arange(len(image2)).compress(numpy.logical_and(image1 >
0, image2 > 0))
Out[10]: array([2, 3])

Others might have a better way but this at least works.

--Tom