[Numpy-discussion] matrix indexing question

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Fri Mar 30 01:31:49 EDT 2007

Looks promising!

> On 3/29/07, Bill Baxter <wbaxter at gmail.com> wrote: On 3/30/07,
> Timothy Hochberg <tim.hochberg at ieee.org> wrote:
> > Note, however that you can't (for instance) multiply column
> vector with
> > a row vector:

> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> > TypeError: Cannot matrix multiply columns with anything
> >

> That should be allowed.  (N,1)*(1,M) is just an (N,M) matrix with
> entries C[i,j] = A[i,0]*B[0,]
>
> I thought about that a little, and while I agree that it could be
> allowed, I'm not sure that it should be allowed. It's a trade off
> between a bit of what I would guess is little used functionality
> with some enhanced error checking (I would guess that usually
> row*column signals a mistake). However, I don't care much one way
> or the other; it's not hard to allow.

I'm also for allowing it; from the perspective of one writing code
that "looks like" typical (if potentially technically incorrect)
notation, being able to write direct analogs to a'b (to get a scalar)
or ab' (to get an MxN matrix) and have everything "work" would be
quite useful. Especially in various reconstruction tasks (e.g. using
svd to approximate a given matrix with a lower-rank one), the "outer
product" of a row and a column vector comes up often enough that I
would be loathe to have it raise an error.

> I kind of like the idea of using call for multiply, though.  If it
> doesn't turn out to have any major down sides it could be a good way
> to give ndarray a concise syntax for "dot".
>
> We'll see how it goes down this time. I've proposed using call
> before, since I've thought the matrix situation was kind of silly
> for what seems like ages now, but it always sinks without a ripple.

The call syntax is nice, if a bit opaque to someone looking at the
code for the first time. On the other hand, it's explicit in a way
that overloaded multiplication just isn't. I like it (for what little
that's worth).

Zach