[Numpy-discussion] converting scalar to array with dimension 1

Pierre GM pgmdevlist at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 18:18:29 EDT 2007

On Friday 30 March 2007 17:43:42 Bill Baxter wrote:
>   Actually I
> didn't realize that it had a loop in it, so thanks for pointing that
> out.  I thought it was just and alias for array with some args.

I just realized that myself, going directly in the sources: that's how I found
that the ndmin argument was available in the Python interface.

> Actually, I tend to use subok=False more and more.  Matrix, despite
> being a subclass of ndarray, is too incompatible with ndarray to
> really mix and match most of the time.  So it seems safest just to
> force everything to be a bog-stock ndarray.  I made some convenience
> functions that provide the right args to array for my own use.

Yes, Matrix objects are tricky beasts... I use quite regularly masked arrays
and time series (as ndarray subclasses), and don't want to lose the extra
information w/ subok=False. But it's all matter of personal goals, I agree.