[Numpy-discussion] problem: I get an array that doesn't have a length

Francesc Altet faltet at carabos.com
Wed May 2 11:39:29 EDT 2007

El dc 02 de 05 del 2007 a les 09:52 -0400, en/na Pierre GM va escriure:
> Mark,
> In your example:
>
> b is really a numpy scalar, so it doesn't have a length. But it does have a
> size (1) and a ndim (0).

Just one correction in terms of the current naming convention: b in this
case is a 0-dim array, which is a different beast than a numpy scalar
(although they behaves pretty similarly).  You can distinguish between
them in different ways, but one is using type():

In [24]:type(numpy.asarray(3.))   # a 0-dim array
Out[24]:<type 'numpy.ndarray'>
In [25]:type(numpy.float64(3.))   # a numpy scalar
Out[25]:<type 'numpy.float64'>

Cheers,

--
Francesc Altet    |  Be careful about using the following code --
Carabos Coop. V.  |  I've only proven that it works,