[Numpy-discussion] [SciPy-user] Getting started wiki page

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Sat May 12 14:21:57 EDT 2007

On Sat, May 12, 2007 at 12:12:21PM -0600, Fernando Perez wrote:
>  Thanks a lot for putting time into this, which is extremely useful to
>  newcomers.

I got bored of always explaining the same things to project students :->.

> I think it would be best to start with the -pylab approach from the
> start.  You can mention that -pylab is only needed if you want
> plotting and requires matplotlib.

I think you are right. The biggest problem is that (at least with the
enthon python distribution) there is no icon under windows to start
ipython with the "-pylab" switch, and many people have no clue what we
are talking about. I change as you suggested, though.

    Gaël