[Numpy-discussion] Do we still need support for Python 2.3?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon May 21 12:45:18 EDT 2007

Nadav Horesh wrote:
> The question should be: Are there members who rely on python 2.3

Numeric and numpy's user base has always been much more extensive than the list
membership. I don't think that the question can be reformulated that way.

I think we still do need to support Python 2.3. Being able to use the builtin
set() rather than set.Set() is not a compelling use case. Libraries that are as
fundamental as numpy is trying to be should try to maintain compatibility with
the oldest versions of Python that are feasible.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco