[Numpy-discussion] numpy testing

Brian Hawthorne brian.lee.hawthorne at gmail.com
Thu May 24 00:42:34 EDT 2007

Hello,
I'm having a bit of trouble with numpy testing not finding my tests.  It
seems like a bug, but maybe it's a subtle feature.  I constructed the
simplest possible straw man to illustrate my problem (attached as foo.tgz).
The directory structure looks like this:

a/
  __init__.py
  foo.py
  tests/
    test_foo.py

To witness the problem:

% tar zxf foo.tgz
% python -c 'import a; a.test()'
% python -c 'import a; a.testall()'

The test method (of NumpyTest class) does not pick up the test, but testall
does.  I think I've followed all the naming rules, even included test_,
check_, and bench_ methods in the test case, in case they were treated
differently.  Any suggestions?

I encountered this problem while attempting to isolate another (maybe
related) problem with numpy testing.  I'm working on the nipy project (
neuroimaging.scipy.org) and we are using the numpy test system.  During a
refactoring session, I noticed that when I moved some existing functionality
(along with its tests) into a new identically named module under a different
package (like a.b.foo and a.c.foo), these particular tests were no longer
found.  I thought it might have something to do with the modules having the
same name, but when I tried to isolate the problem in a mockup, I ran into
the problem described above.  So, first things first.  Maybe it's something
really dumb that I can't see because I've been staring at it for too long.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Brian