[Numpy-discussion] Linux numpy 1.0.1 install failed - undefined symbol: pthread_join

Gong, Shawn (Contractor) Shawn.Gong at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri May 25 15:56:22 EDT 2007

Hi Robert

The override does the trick.
It worked.  Thanks and have a nice weekend.

Shawn

Okay, here is the full scoop:

* The multi-threaded ATLAS is always tried first. This doesn't work for
you
since you compiled your Python without pthreads.

* The standard library directories (/usr/lib, /usr/local/lib, etc.) are
tried
along with fairly standard ATLAS library directories, too
(/usr/lib/atlas,
/usr/local/lib/atlas).

* Consequently, the multi-threaded libraries in /usr/local/lib/atlas are
picked
up before the version that you want.

Here is how to override this (I think):

Set the environment variable PTATLAS=None and then run the build. E.g.

  $ export PTATLAS=None
  $ python setup.py build

--
Robert Kern

enigma
 that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though
it had
 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco