[Numpy-discussion] Numpy 1.0.3 install problem. Help!

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Sun May 27 14:29:30 EDT 2007

Yang, Lu wrote:
> Thanks, Travis. I don't have problem building other applications on the same platform.
> Are there any files in the extracted /numpy-1.0.3 that I can modify the path of the C
> compiler? I have checked all the files in it withouth luck.

The C-compiler that is used is the same one used to build Python.  It is
picked up using Python distutils.   So, another problem could be that
the compiler used to build Python is not available.

You should look in the file

$PYTHONDIR/config/Makefile

where $PYTHONDIR is where Python is installed on your system.

There will be a line

CC =

in there.   That's the compiler that is going to be used.    Also, check
your $PATH variable when you are building numpy if a full path name is
not given in the CC line to see what compiler will be picked up.

These configuration issues are usually a matter of getting the right
compiler and the right linker.

Good luck,

-Travis