[Numpy-discussion] Vista installer?

Andrew Straw strawman at astraw.com
Sun May 27 16:32:35 EDT 2007

Charles R Harris wrote:

> On 5/24/07, *Ryan Krauss* <ryanlists at gmail.com
> <mailto:ryanlists at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I am trying to use Numpy/Scipy for a class I am teaching this summer.
>     I have one student running Vista.  Is there an installer that works
>     for Vista?  Running the exe file from webpage gives errors about not
>     being able to create various folders and files.  I think this is from
>     Vista being very restrictive about which files and folders are
>     writable.  Is anyone out there running Numpy/Scipy in Vista?  If so,
>     how did you get it to work?
>

> Install Ubuntu? ;) I've heard nothing but complaints and nasty words
> from co-workers stuck with new computers and trying to use Vista as a
> development platform for scientific work.
Just a follow-up, vmware is now given away and Ubuntu has always been
free, and I guess most computers with Vista have native support for
virtualization. So, this way you could run Ubuntu and Vista
simultaneously without a speed loss on either or partitioning the drive.
Of course, if it were me I'd put Ubuntu as the host OS and probably
never boot the guest OS. ;)