[Numpy-discussion] Building NumPy 1.0.3 on SGI/IRIX system

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Tue May 29 17:16:55 EDT 2007

On Tue, 29 May 2007, Charles R Harris wrote:

> On 5/29/07, Mary Haley <haley at ucar.edu> wrote:

>> > There have been other reports of problems on IRIX 6.5. What we need is
>> > someone running on an SGI box and willing to help us get things working.
>>
>> Chuck,
>>
>> I will be willing to help here. Unfortunately I can't give people logins
>> to this system, but I will be willing to try a bunch of things.
>>
>> > I've tried setting CC to both the default "cc" compiler (which

>> > Looks like ld is trying to link a 64bit program to a 32bit library. I
>> wonder
>> > what crt1 is? Is there a 64bit version? How are the 64 and 32 bit
>> libraries
>> > in IRIX distinguished?
>>
>> I was wondering about this /usr/lib/crt1.o myself.  Generally when you
>> see this error message, it means that some of the code is getting
>> compiled in 64-bit mode (using the -64 option) and some is being
>> compiled in 32-bit mode (using -32 or -n32). You can't mix these
>> two.
>>
>> This can also happen, I think, if compilers are mixed. That is,
>> if you try to use "cc -64" for some code, and then "gcc" for
>> other code, as the "gcc" compiler doesn't recognize the -64 or
>> -n32 options.
>

> I believe the options are -m32 and -m64. Do gcc -v to see what the target
> is.

Sorry, what I meant to say is I'm not sure if these are compatible
with "cc". I will give this a try, although I prefer sticking with
"cc" because this compiler is kept more up-to-date.

> Can I build NumPy a certain way for you that might give you
>> more debug information to go on?
>

> I'm waiting for one of the build gurus to check in, it's not my area of
> expertise. Are the 32 and 64 bit libraries in IRIX put in different places?
> On linux, for instance, the (non-debian) standard is 32 bit in the usual
> location, 64 bit in lib64. You can control where numpy looks for libraries
> by editing the site.cfg file at the top of the numpy directory.

This is the same for IRIX. I looked at the site.cfg file and only
saw two lines. I'll see if I can use it to help it look for 64-bit
libraries.

--Mary