[Numpy-discussion] Problem with numpy on Leopard

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Fri Nov 2 02:59:11 EDT 2007

In article <07Nov1.205537pst."57996"@synergy1.parc.xerox.com>,
 Bill Janssen <janssen at parc.com> wrote:
> This is really interesting.  For my apps, I use the system Python on
> Tiger, and expect to do it again with Leopard.  If I have to have a
> specific version of an extension that's needed, I make sure the
> directory where I keep it is on the sys.path of my application before
> the standard directories.  That seems to be about all that's required.
> I'm not sure what all the FUD about the system Python is...

For your own apps on your own machines, sure - you can manage the whole
environment and the system Python should be fine (that is, if and until
you need a newer build of Python itself).  I think the "FUD" you refer
to concerns a different problem: developing and distributing
multiple-component Python apps to multiple users on multiple machines.
Controlling all those environments isn't so easy.  Deploying apps and
components as eggs using setuptools is one way to simplify that problem;
building standalone OSX apps with embedded stripped-down Python runtimes
and components using py2app is another.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org