[Numpy-discussion] saving and loading as PNG

Hans Meine meine at informatik.uni-hamburg.de
Thu Nov 8 10:42:47 EST 2007

Am Donnerstag, 08. November 2007 16:25:57 schrieb Martin Teichmann:
> Some more thoughts:
> * Other implementations: There is other people who have done such a thing.
> the PIL knows how to read and write PNG, but only 8 bit. The same holds
> for matplotlib.

Our VIGRA imaging library can read and save PNGs with 8/16 bit data, as well
as several kinds of TIFF files (including float data).  We are currently
trying to re-model our python bindings (which have not yet been officially
released) using NumPy containers for the images.

Unfortunately, we seem to get a performance penalty by the common convention
that the order of the indices is x,y, e.g. colorImage[x,y] == [r,g,b].  See
the other current thread.

--
Ciao, /  /
     /--/