[Numpy-discussion] Unnecessarily bad performance of elementwise operators with Fortran-arrays

Sebastian Haase haase at msg.ucsf.edu
Fri Nov 9 07:04:24 EST 2007

Hi,
this comment might be counterproductive to this discussion:
However.
I'm also using numpy as a basis for putting together an image analysis
"platform"/library.
This includes both 2D and higher dimensional images.
Since all my code, if not n Python, is written in C or C++ and not
Fortran, I decided early on that I had to get used to "invese
indexing", as in
image[y,x] or image[z,y,x]

"Inverse" only refers to the common (alphabetecally oriented)
intuition to say "at point x,y,z" rather than "z,y,x".
I also argueed that mathematical matrices (mostly / often) use an
index order as "row , column" which essentially is "y, x" (if the
matrix is seen as an image)

In any case, getting used to a "z,y,x" order saved me lots of
technical troubles, and after all, most code is or will be C/C++ and
not Fortran.

Hope I was not entirey misguided,
Sebastian Haase