[Numpy-discussion] Warnings as exceptions?

Michael McNeil Forbes mforbes at physics.ubc.ca
Sat Nov 10 17:33:57 EST 2007

Why are numpy warnings printed rather than issued using the standard
warnings library?  I know that the behaviour can be controlled by
seterr(), but it seem rather unpythonic not to use the warnings library.

Is there an explicit reason for this choice?  (It seems like a pretty
trivial modification of util.py will catch most of the cases.)  If
performance is an issue, one could add a 'print' mode which behaves
as the current 'warn'.

Michael.

(P.S. I am sure this has been discussed somewhere before, but I can't
seem to find a reference.)