[Numpy-discussion] Problem with numpy.linalg.eig?

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 13:51:09 EST 2007

On Nov 13, 2007 3:37 AM, Keith Goodman <kwgoodman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 12, 2007 10:10 AM, Peter Creasey <p.e.creasey.00 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > The following code calling numpy v1.0.4 fails to terminate on my machine,
> > which was not the case with v1.0.3.1
> >
> >     from numpy import arange, float64
> >     from numpy.linalg import eig
> >     a = arange(13*13, dtype = float64)
> >     a.shape = (13,13)
> >     a = a%17
> >     eig(a)
>
> It sounds like the same problem that was reported in this thread:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.numeric.general/17456/focus=17465
>
> A friend of mine says the windows binary of 1.0.4 also hangs on eigh
> and lstsq (so linalg in general). I don't have that problem on 1.0.5
> compiled on GNU/Linux.
Could you friend try the binaries there:

http://projects.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2007-November/029811.html

This may be a problem related to the blas/lapack used for the
binaries. The binaries posted above use non optimized BLAS/LAPACK (I
can update to 1.0.4 if this is a problem).

cheers,

David