[Numpy-discussion] numpy : your experiences?

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 12:10:36 EST 2007

On Nov 20, 2007 1:48 AM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 19, 2007 5:19 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:

> > We use it for the core of long-running computations:
> >
> > http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.acha.2007.08.001
> >

> Heh, On subgroups of the Monster containing A5's turns up as a related
> paper. You folks doing some fancy math there?

Mmh, I'm not really sure why the Monster group paper turns up as
'related'.  That kind of work sits squarely in the abstract
algebra/group theory world, while what we do is far more applied.
Think of it as a wavelet-inspired way of decomposing long-range
potentials into near and far-field components to achieve better
efficiency, along with tricks inspired from trapezoid rule integration
to reduce the cost in higher dimensions.  The first paper in the
'related' list, "Multiresolution separated representations of singular
and weakly singular operators" is actually one that is really related,
and has much of the theoretical background behind our work.

It's actually nothing fancy at all from a theoretical standpoint,
though rather complicated to implement (especially because speed comes
from very aggressive truncations, so error analysis is difficult,
critical and very easy to get wrong: you have to walk a fine line
between speed and wrong results :).

Cheers,