[Numpy-discussion] Installation of Python/mpl/numpy/scipy/Ipython for students

mark markbak at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 08:06:02 EST 2007

A question was posted a week or so ago on the scipy list about
installing
Python/mpl/numpy/scipy/Ipython by David Arnold (both Windows and Mac).
He was interested in a simple install for students (and others that
are less computer-savy). We had a little off-list correspondence, but
thought to bring it back to the list, also posting on mpl (cause I
read that list and it seems pretty responsive) and the numpy Google
discussion group (they respond VERY quickly).

On the scipy list it was suggested to use Sage reply, but that sounds
like a little overkill to me.

I have used the enthought package on windows successfully in class in
the past, but I understand that they have now switched to eggs, which
is not convenient (yet).

I also don't like all the other things I have to set myself. A switch
on the IDLE GUI to get mpl to work interactively (which is now seems
impossible to do), and setting my PYTHONPATH with environment
variables. It is all easy to do, but not for students, especially
students without much knowledge of how computers work let alone access
to set these variables and options.

At one point I was reading about making a superpack (or a name like
that) installation for Python with our favorite packages as mentioned
above. I am not sure where that is going.

Are others dreaming about such a superpack? What needs to be done to
get it going?

Mark