[Numpy-discussion] Building NumPy on Mac OS X without Apple GCC

Joshua Lippai discerptor at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 01:21:58 EST 2007

I updated my GCC to a more recent version a day ago, since Apple's
Xcode Tools only provide GCC 4.0 and the current release of GNU's GCC
is 4.2. I successfully achieved this, but now I run into a problem
when trying to build NumPy:

gcc: unrecognized option '-no-cpp-precomp'
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-arch"
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-arch"
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wno-long-double"
gcc: unrecognized option '-no-cpp-precomp'
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-arch"
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-arch"
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wno-long-double"

Upon investigation into the matter, I found out that these options
(no-cpp-precomp and Wno-long-double) are only valid in Apple's GCC and
not the regular GNU release. Yet it seems NumPy automatically assumes
Apple's GCC is being used when it realizes the target is OS X. Is
there a way around this, or at least some way to specify Apple's GCC?
NumPy is the only package I've tried building so far that has a
problem with this.