[Numpy-discussion] Building NumPy on Mac OS X without Apple GCC

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 01:42:40 EST 2007

Joshua Lippai wrote:
> I updated my GCC to a more recent version a day ago, since Apple's
> Xcode Tools only provide GCC 4.0 and the current release of GNU's GCC
> is 4.2. I successfully achieved this, but now I run into a problem
> when trying to build NumPy:
>
> gcc: unrecognized option '-no-cpp-precomp'
> cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-arch"
> cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-arch"
> cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wno-long-double"
> gcc: unrecognized option '-no-cpp-precomp'
> cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-arch"
> cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-arch"
> cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wno-long-double"
>

> Upon investigation into the matter, I found out that these options
> (no-cpp-precomp and Wno-long-double) are only valid in Apple's GCC and
> not the regular GNU release. Yet it seems NumPy automatically assumes
> Apple's GCC is being used when it realizes the target is OS X. Is
> there a way around this, or at least some way to specify Apple's GCC?
> NumPy is the only package I've tried building so far that has a
> problem with this.

I'm surprised that you've built other Python extension modules because numpy
does not add these flags; Python does. Python extensions should be built with
the same compiler that Python itself was built with. If you are using the binary
distribution from www.python.org, you should use Apple's gcc, not a different one.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."