[Numpy-discussion] Building NumPy on Mac OS X without Apple GCC

Joshua Lippai discerptor at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 03:51:56 EST 2007

> > Thanks for the reply. Well, I built my Python stuff, including NumPy
> > previously, before I changed to the higher GCC version. Do you know if
> > there's an option I can toggle that will specify Apple's GCC to be
> > used?
>
> $ CC=/usr/bin/gcc python setup.py build
>
> --
>
> Robert Kern

>  that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had
>  an underlying truth."
>   -- Umberto Eco

Thanks, it worked perfectly. I'd hate to be a little off topic in the
NumPy discussion and bug you, but when I try to compile the latest
scipy, I get:

g++: unrecognized option '-no-cpp-precomp'
cc1plus: error: unrecognized command line option "-arch"
cc1plus: error: unrecognized command line option "-arch"
cc1plus: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wno-long-double"
g++: unrecognized option '-no-cpp-precomp'
cc1plus: error: unrecognized command line option "-arch"
cc1plus: error: unrecognized command line option "-arch"
cc1plus: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wno-long-double"

And I assume from the way it looks that it's due to a similar reason
as my previous compiling problem. I tried adding in
CCplus=/usr/bin/g++ but it doesn't seem to do the trick. Again, sorry
to keep bugging on an issue I created in my compiling environment, but
is there something different I should be typing?