[Numpy-discussion] scipy binary for macosx tiger on ppc

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Thu Nov 29 22:17:36 EST 2007

Barry Wark wrote:
> Using the gfortran from http://r.research.att.com/tools/, it's trivial
> to build a universal build from source. The instructions on scipy.org
> won't lead you astray.
>
> I will ask around at work. Perhaps we can start building universal
> scipy builds for distribution. Can anyone from the scipy devs email me
> off list if you'd like to pursue this?... triggering a build
> automatically from SVN commits or such would be good.
That would be cool, but where to compile the binary ? scipy does not
have build farm. Having a 100 % automatic way to build a binary would
certainly be a step in this direction, though. There is also the need to
test the compiled binary, which is not trivial with fat binaries. To sum up:
    - we need at least one x86 mac os X machine to build/test (I don't
know if you can test python softwares through rosetta: I have only
experience testing pure C softwares built as fat binaries)
    - we need a way to automate the build entirely
    - we need a way to automate the packaging (distutils can do only
part of it or all of it ? Building a basic .pkg inside a dmg is not hard
from the command line, but I don't know how it scales for non trivial
packages).

cheers,

David