[Numpy-discussion] scipy binary for macosx tiger on ppc

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 18:47:34 EST 2007

Christopher Barker wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:

>> "Official" binaries intended for distribution from scipy.org or scipy.sf.net
>> should not be linked against FFTW or UMFPACK since they are GPLed.
>
> Does that apply to binaries put up on pythonmac.org? It would be nice to
> have a "complete" version somewhere standard.

I would argue "yes, it does apply to pythonmac.org, too." scipy is a
BSD-licensed package. Putting GPLed components into the binaries which are
distributed at "standard" locations like our website, PyPI, or pythonmac.org
confuses that picture. I would be mollified if the download link had an
explanation attached, but unfortunately, pythonmac.org/packages does not have
any space for that.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."