[Numpy-discussion] adopting Python Style Guide for classes

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 13:14:13 EDT 2007

Matthew Brett wrote:
> On 10/2/07, Christopher Barker <Chris.Barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

>> What is a "class" in this case -- with new-style classes, there is no
>> distinction between types and classes, so I guess they are all classes,
>> which means lots of things like:
>>
>> numpy.float32
>>
>> etc. etc. etc. are classes. should they be CamelCase too?
>
> I would vote for CamelCase in this case too.

I would prefer to leave them as they are. While they are implemented as classes,
they're usually used as data. Also, they are more similar to builtin types than
classes one might write, and Python itself has a convention of leaving these
lowercase (e.g. int, float, etc.).

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."